Monday, July 10, 2006

:o(

One of the effects of having an English teacher for a father was that we were exposed to some bizzare literature LONG before we (ok, I!) was capable of understanding it! This, for example, was something I could recite by-heart, without ever getting it when I was in Class III!

"Tragedie is to seyn a certeyn storie,
As olde bokes maken us memorie,
Of him that stood in greet prosperitee
And is y-fallen out of heigh degree
Into miserie, and endeth wrecchedly."*

Anyway, it took some Googling around to dig it out, coz there were just phrases that were still wedged in my brain. Bits of it came back to me (and I undertand it now) after watching Zidane last night :o(

* Chaucer's definition of a Tragedy, Prologue to The Monk's Tale

5 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwww!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. headbutt reminded you of chaucer? the dots refuse to align.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and so i finally posted today ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:10 pm

    wow, I think it's so cool that your dad was an Englaish teacher. I'm envious in a weird sort of way:D

    ReplyDelete